[nsp] Flash Memory via Compact Flash card

Jared Mauch jared@puck.nether.net
Mon, 26 Aug 2002 23:40:03 -0400

On Mon, Aug 26, 2002 at 10:47:28PM -0400, jlewis@lewis.org wrote:
> On Mon, 26 Aug 2002, Roy wrote:
>
> > I am looking at increasing the flash memory in some 7200VXRs.  Has
> > anyone had success using Compact Flash memory in a PCMCIA adapter?  That
> > seems to be a cheap way to go.  I inserted the card from my camera into
> > a router and could see disk1: and all its files.  I seemed to be able to
> > write to it also.
>
> The real question is, could you boot from it?  We have one 7206 that came
> (used) with a 48mb card that's seen as disk0:.  Is there any disadvantage
> to such flash 'disks' instead of the (I assume older) flash memory cards?

	I'm using a ATA flash disk in my 7200.  Works fine.  Only caveat
is you need to format it inside the router once it's there to insure
it writes all the bootloader stuff.

	Works great, *MUCH* faster than the 'old' 'linear-flash' cards.
I would not buy any more of those if I were you.  Stick to 128M+ flash cards
in your routers and let cisco know that with continued image size increase
they need to test more of the larger ATA flash cards.

	- Jared