[nsp] inbound failover without BGP?

Furnish, Trever G TGFurnish at herff-jones.com
Tue Dec 17 10:02:48 EST 2002

Hopefully I'm showing some ignorance here... :-)

Is there any way to provide failover routing of INBOUND traffic using links
from multiple providers, OTHER THAN running BGP with those providers?

In the past I've always obtained a class-c and an AS number and announced my
addresses out to all of my providers via BGP, but if you're tallking about a
small network with just a few addresses in use that's really wasteful - most
providers won't listen to your bgp announcements for anything smaller than a
/24.

But wasteful or not, having inbound failover is a requirement for most
commercial web sites that provide service to paying customers.  If the link
from Provider1 fails, the inbound connections still succeed because
Provider2 is still announcing to the world that he has a path to me.  Is
there some other way to do it?

-t.