[nsp] Cat6509 MSFC1 interface stats.

Todd, Douglas M. DTODD at PARTNERS.ORG
Fri Dec 20 09:02:49 EST 2002

all:

Some information on the 6k mls from cisco and mls flows w/the pfc and the
msfc. The stats should be equal between the two info below:

IP MLS Flows
Layer 3 protocols, such as IP and Internetwork Packet Exchange (IPX), are
connectionless-they deliver every packet independently of every other
packet. However, actual network traffic consists of many end-to-end
conversations, or flows, between users or applications.

A flow is a unidirectional sequence of packets between a particular source
and destination that share the same protocol and transport-layer
information. Communication from a client to a server and from the server to
the client are separate flows. For example, Telnet traffic transferred from
a particular source to a particular destination comprises a separate flow
from File Transfer Protocol (FTP) packets between the same source and
destination.

Flows are based only on Layer 3 addresses, which allow IP traffic from
multiple users or applications to a particular destination to be carried on
a single flow if only the destination IP address is used to identify a flow.

Layer 3 MLS Cache
The Policy Feature Card (PFC) maintains a Layer 3 switching table (the Layer
3 MLS cache) for Layer 3-switched flows. The cache also includes entries for
traffic statistics that are updated in tandem with the switching of packets.
After the MLS cache is created, packets identified as belonging to an
existing flow can be Layer 3 switched based on the cached information. The
MLS cache maintains flow information for all active flows.

An MLS cache entry is created for the initial packet of each flow. Upon
receipt of a packet that does not match any flow currently in the MLS cache,
a new IP MLS entry is created.

The state and identity of the flow are maintained while packet traffic is
active; when traffic for a flow ceases, the entry ages out. You can
configure the aging time for MLS entries kept in the MLS cache. If an entry
is not used for the specified period of time, the entry ages out and
statistics for that flow can be exported to a flow collector application.

The maximum MLS cache size is 128K entries. However, an MLS cache larger
than 32K entries increases the probability that a flow will not be switched
by the PFC and will get forwarded to the router.

taken from:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps708/products_configuration
_guide_chapter09186a008007f2a8.html#xtocid244531