[[nsp] Possibly OT: Securing Syslog and SNMP.]

dtodd@partners.org dtodd@partners.org
Wed, 20 Nov 2002 13:55:32 -0500

Hmmm...

Some people have multiple syslog and nmm servers. One for internal
and one for external.
Others have one system but rely on host security, good passwords,
snmp v2/3, good acls, proactive monitoring and a well designed
network infrastructure.  There are many  articles (some cisco others
3rd party) that discuss how to secure up
your routers and switches, internet architecture, as well as your
workstations.  Combinining all these w/some common sense and a
security risk analysis (ie., what is your level of security vs
business operability and ability to manage such an infrastructure)
will help with the design decision an how open you can be.
Email me directly if you need more information.

Douglas

- ----SIGNAURE-------
Douglas M. Todd, Jr.
Network Engineering
Partners Health Care
Building 149
149 13 Street
Charlestown, MA 02129-200
Tel: 617.726.1403
Email: dtodd@partners.org
PGP Finger Print: 9429 CAE3 B2D1 C2E1 DFBC  E7A6 E90A 9BE5 C7B6 47BC
Key available via email.
Verisign S/N: 3ff65cdf58b9dceda004baeed49e16cf
https://digitalid.verisign.com/services/client/index.html