[nsp] beyond 4096 VLANS without MPLS

Thomas Kernen tkernen@deckpoint.ch
Wed, 16 Oct 2002 18:02:06 +0200

Is there any known mechanism or in-the-works standard to overcome the 4096
VLAN limit other than Q-in-Q or EoMPLS?

Say I have a metro network with 200'000 customers and I want to keep this as
simple as possible (in an ideal world) therefore I would like to build a
layer 2 switched network, with each customer having 2-4 VLANs therefore
potentially 800'000 VLANs in one network. I would/could break it down per
POP and/or per switch and then run layer 3 in the core but I would like to
know if anyone here involved in ethernet in the first mile (EFM/802.3ah),
Ethernet Passive Optical Networks (EPONs) and general large metro networks
would have any suggestions related to such a design.

A bit off topic, sorry about that.
Thomas