[nsp] 7500 insertion force

Robert E. Seastrom rs@seastrom.com
07 Sep 2002 22:06:22 -0400

Cisco Geek Rotation <cisco@peakpeak.com> writes:

> I worked at UPS before college. Consequently, I don't ship much
> through them having seen the inside :)  We demand FedEx delivery for
> our stuff, they pamper things a lot more.

My success rate for shipping 7000s, 7507s, and 7513s via FedEx Heavy
without damage is 20% (this is in Cisco-provided packaging with
appropriate labels &c).  Back in 1998 or perhaps early '99, I decided
that I'd had quite enough of broken hardware and started demanding
that all heavy shipments to our office go via an air freight company
and a freight forwarder, not a package delivery service.  Voila, no
more broken equipment.  If you've seen pictures online of a 7513 with
trapezoidal-shaped power supply cavities, that was us.  :)

Bottom line is, UPS, Fedex, Airborne, DHL, and any other primarily
"package delivery" service does not have the proper mindset for
shipping stuff that weighs more than their normal cutoff weight but is
still small enough to be handled with a hand truck instead of a pallet
jack if one is foolhardy.  Use a real freight company that understands
cargo handling, and life is just fine.

1-800-NO-FEDEX

                                        ---Rob