[nsp] PA-A6 over PA-A3

Jared Mauch jared at puck.nether.net
Mon Apr 28 12:20:30 EDT 2003

On Mon, Apr 28, 2003 at 05:12:19PM +0200, Spin wrote:
> Hi,
>
> what are the main difference between the "old" PA-A3 and the new PA-A6?
> A cisco reply will be usefull!

	(i'm not with cisco)

	I would guess the difference would be added hardware features
and buffering in the PA.

	The difference between the PA-A1-OC3MM and the PA-A3-OC3MM card
(for example) was that the A1 had something like a 40 cell buffer,
and the A3 had a much larger buffer.  In a previous networking life
there were problems with large packets when sending over our own
(ick) internal ATM network that we operated.  The card would
run out of buffers and drop a cell making the large packets more
susceptiable to problems.  The A3 card solved our problem and I believe
cisco actually kindly swapped the A1's for the A3s at the time. (at no
cost to us).

	- Jared

Jared Mauch  | pgp key available via finger from jared at puck.nether.net