[nsp] Bridging VLANs to WAN customers

Robert A. Hayden rhayden at geek.net
Mon Apr 28 22:44:29 EDT 2003

I wanted to get some thoughts here.

We're currently rebuilding our legacy ATM network into a new ethernet/VLAN
based network.  It's a slow process with 200 buildings to migrate over.
However, it's purring along pretty well in general.

We also have about 30-40 WAN customers that we are currently serving with
ATM links over T1 and T3 connections.  Given the immense desire to "do
away"  with all of the ATM, I'm wondering what the current thinking is on
how to extend Layer2 connectivity down to the other end of a T1
connection.  Most of these connections will need at least 4 to 6 VLANs
trunked down to them.

My first instinct, and I'm pretty sure this is NOT a good idea, was to use
a 7200 of some kind to terminate the T1s and then build GRE tunnels over
the T1 and put each tunnel into a bridge group along with the appropriate
VLAN. -----  As I said, most likely NOT a good idea.

The other thought would be some kind of an MPLS-based approach, but none
of our core gear (6500s) are MPLS capable without the Sup720s and the
edge equipment would have to be forklifted.

Any thoughts here?

- Robert