[nsp] ios ntp

Marcus Keane mkeane at microsoft.com
Tue Aug 5 09:38:29 EDT 2003

Firstly, I'm not an expert in NTP so bear with me. But the problem is
that it is built into the design of NTP that a server can lose
connectivity to it's upstream server for 24hrs and still have downstream
clients pass sanity check 6. So in the case of the router/server that
has synchronised within 24hrs it will serve and the downstream
client(router?) sanity checks will pass.

But if your router/server hasn't synced ever or within 24hrs then it
will still serve but these packets will fail sanity checks on the
downstream client.
Marcus.