[nsp] 2621 VPN mb/s w/wo AIM

Tim D. zsolutions at cogeco.ca
Mon Dec 1 13:26:30 EST 2003

Just wanted to clarify some things, and thank everyone for their replies.

I am now using 2 2621's with AIM/VPN modules installed.  I am not using
tunnel interfaces/GRE so as to avoid fragmentation.  I am using
CEF switching, and have IP redirects enabled.  Using 12.2 IOS I have managed
to get a throughput of 3.5mbs with FTP protocol thus far, but the devices
are not responsive to telnet/ssh for management at these speeds.  One thing
that made a huge difference in throughput was removing the logging command
from the extended access-list :)
I plan to try an upgrade to 12.3 as per the advice of Atticus, and re-test.

It would be really nice if Cisco had a list of VPN devices (PIX, 26/3600,
3000 etc.) and the relative throughput one could expect doing 3des (hardware
and software) on each.  I've looked for just such a list on Cisco to no
avail.