[nsp] IPv6 BGP on 12.2(18)S1

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Wed Dec 24 09:05:24 EST 2003

Hi,

On Wed, Dec 24, 2003 at 02:45:34PM +0200, Hank Nussbacher wrote:
> We used to run IPv6 BGP on 12.2(8)T10 and it works fine.  We are now trying
> to implement it on 12.2(18)S1 and have hit some snags.  I'm able to define
> the neighbor fine but when I try:
>
> TAU-gp1(config)#router bgp 378
> TAU-gp1(config-router)#address-family ipv6
> % Command incompatible with current mode

See Jared's response as well :-) - your router is using the "old" BGP
configuration style, which needs to be upgraded to address-family style
with "bgp upgrade-cli" first.

I've done this on a number of routers, and have always been pleasantly
surprised by it "just working" - no crashes, no configuration data lost,
etc.  (IPv4 unicast plus multicast setup with "nlri" style).

12.2(14)S has some problems with IPv6 and IPv4 neighbours (after reboot,
it will assume that all IPv6 neighbours will exchange IPv4 prefixes as
well, which can lead to some weird effects), 12.2(18)S seems to have
that fixed.

gert
                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert at net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de