[nsp] Rspan

Tim Devries zsolutions at cogeco.ca
Thu Feb 6 15:10:34 EST 2003

Hello,

I have the following topology (see attached if garbled):
+------+                             +------- +
| PIX    |                              | PIX      |
+-------+                            +--------+
     |                                            |
     |                                            |
     |(vlan100)                              |(vlan100)
      |                                            |
     |                                            |
     |  1/2                                     | 1/2
+----------+                           +----------+
 |  6509A     |------Trunk-------|  6509B    |
+----------+  (vlan100)           +----------+
 2/15 |                                               |
         |                                               |
         |Vlan(100)                               |Vlan(100)
         |                                               |
 Network Probe

I would like to run RSPAN but am new to the concept.  In particular I would
like to set ports 1/2 on both 6509's to be the source and would like to set
port 2/15 on 6509A to be the destination.  Looking at :

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps708/products_configuration
_guide_chapter09186a008007f323.html#1019851

I cannot determine whether the existing trunk would need to permit my RSPAN
vlan (555) in addition to my data vlan(100), or whether it would be better
practice to create a seperate trunk to carry the RSPAN traffic.  I am not
running VTP.  Would someone be kind enough to fill me in on this?

Thanks,

Tim