[nsp] Non-Cisco GBICS for 3500-6500 switches

Mikael Abrahamsson swmike at swm.pp.se
Fri Feb 14 20:19:08 EST 2003

On Fri, 14 Feb 2003, Schonemann II, James R. wrote:

> Those of you that responded about 3rd party GBICs for Cisco switches.
> What brands worked and which ones didn't?  Also have you tried them in
> other switches besides the 3500s?

Finisar anv MRV/Luminent also work. I have though heard claims that the
LX70/ZX (at least Finisars) is disabled by IOS (in certain cisco switches)
if inserted, just because cisco wants to make money off of optics. The
equivalent LX and SX gbics from both manufacturers should work.

I have used MRV and Luminent both LX and LX70 in GSRs without any
problems, at least when it was back in 12.0.(15)S-time. I have not tried
newer IOSes since we migrated into only using LX in our GSRs (both 1GE and
3GE cards).

Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike at swm.pp.se