[nsp] Traffic shaping with QoS on Cisco 3550

Brad Bonin (bbonin) brad at cisco.com
Wed Feb 26 13:53:46 EST 2003

Try this...assuming no congestion(then you will need WRED and egress
queue configuration)

The key is to mark packets using dscp values coming in from Internet and
police outbound toward the customer based upon dscp values.

Ingress Side (Upstream ISP connection)
1.  define a class-map to match ingress traffic on your network side
interface (upstream) via an acl.
2.  define a policy-map that sets a dscp value to traffic that matches
the class-map defined in step 1.
3.  apply service-policy to upstream interface (specify "input")

Egress Side (toward the customer)
1. define a class-map to match traffic based upon dscp values (values
you marked on the trunk side ingress policy)
2. define a policy-map that polices at a specified rate, traffic that
matches the class-map defined in step 1.
3. apply service-policy to customer interface (specify "output")

So, you could build predefined dscp values, one value for 1Mbps service,
one for 2Mbps service, etc.  Then apply standard outbound policers that
match the dscp values.

Let me know if you have problems...I may have simplified it too much:-)

Brad
brad at cisco.com