[nsp] Connecting over fibre two sites 5km

Clinton Work work at scripty.com
Thu Jan 2 14:30:22 EST 2003

I have used WS-G5486 GBICs over single-mode fiber using 4912Gs and
6506s and they work well. Before you turn up the GigE connection make
sure to take light level readings because out of spec light levels
will give you trouble later. Ideally, you receive light levels should
be somewhere between -8 to -14db with the WS-G5486 GBIC.

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/lan/cat5000/cnfg_nts/ethernet/5399_01.htm#xtocid6

The other option is a pair of fastEthernet to single-mode fiber converters, but
its likely that the cost will match or exceed the WS-G5486 GBIC solution. As
an example, something like the following:

http://www.omnitron-systems.com/converters/4330view.htm