[nsp] Detecting hacked boxes on switch

Jared Mauch jared at puck.nether.net
Tue Jul 1 11:27:44 EDT 2003

	What you probally want to do is take your existing snmp polling
for graphs on a machine and create some backend that processes the
data and determines if a host is outside its normal operating
bit (or packet) rate.

	ie: anomoly detection.  know that some people have a low bitrate
of 256k and don't go over it except in one or two rare cases when downloading
large files.

	I'm working on a feature for my system + network monitoring
software (free, gpl) sysmon (sysmon.org) that will do this.

	It allows you to specify a snmp counter (or oid) and what the
rate/second is it should increment.  You could then trigger based on
a higher or lower than usual rate and have it send email to your
pager, cell or similar ..

	I believe there are also programs that will do this with your MRTG
and RRD data as well.

	- jared