[nsp] 7200 I/O Controller dead?

Jim Devane jim at powerpulse.cc
Thu Jul 10 10:51:52 EDT 2003

All,

Interesting event last night. 7206 VXR only running 2 T'1 and not taxed
at all just died last night (RIP). When the device was reloaded it would
not boot. The only thing I could get out of it was the bootstrap and it
would not "POST" up. No memory count. Nothing. Not much to troubleshoot.
I can't tell if it is the NPE-300 that is dead or the I/O controller.

Fortunately I had a spare lab router that I cannibalized and put in a
new I/O controller and NPE and it is running like a champ.

I tried to swap the I/O controller into another chassis, but apparently
the I/O controller is not getting along with the NPE.  (or vice versa)
Infact, neither the NPE or the I/O controller get along with any others.

My questions:

IS there a matrix of what revisions wourk with each other?

Any suggestions for what I can do to determine if it is the NPE or the
I/O ?

Thanks,
Jim