[nsp] C7200 Bandwidth Points

Chris Parker cparker at starnetusa.net
Fri Jul 11 15:06:10 EDT 2003

At 02:30 PM 7/11/2003 -0400, Temkin, David wrote:
>'nother question.  I understand how bandwidth points work on the 7200
>series, however, if I'm building a system and I know that I won't be using
>interfaces to their full potential (ie, there's an extra FE or DS-3
>interface in it) and it exceeds the maximum amount of points per the NPE,
>will the system run correctly or will it error?

The router will complain, and I think TAC won't support it very well
if that is the case, but it will not in my experience shut down any
interfaces or refuse to run.

It basically tells you that you're oversubscribing the bus, and can
have problems, but as you note, if you aren't pushing near the full
capacity, you probably won't overuse the bus.

-Chris
--
    \\\|||///  \          StarNet Inc.      \         Chris Parker
    \ ~   ~ /   \       WX *is* Wireless!    \   Director, Engineering
                   \ Wholesale Internet Services - http://www.megapop.net