[nsp] Intelligent Route Control?

Martin Lorensen martin at lorensen.dk
Fri Jul 25 02:10:10 EDT 2003

On Thu, 24 Jul 2003, Brian R. Watters wrote:

> Does anyone have any advise for route control based on real time link
> and or destination performance? .. netVmg and others like Route Science
> are far to expensive .. We of course would like to find a OpenSource
> solution to this problem .. Anyone have a solution or experience with
> this sort of need?

I have done some research for my master thesis on this subject. And I
don't think there is anything out there for free. But the different
vendors have very different prices.

I have a chapter about current solutions, which might be some inspiration.
The thesis is fare from done (dou in 2 month) but a current version can be
found on http://www.martin.lorensen.dk/thesis/.

I actually wrote a prototype of a route optimizing system for the thesis,
which could be considered open-source - however, it has only been tested
in lab-environment with 12 prefixes and a few routers and are written in
perl - I still don't have an idea whether it scales to a full Internet
routing-table, but doubt it.

--

Regards,

Martin Lorensen