[nsp] PIX xlate timeouts - CSCdy58717

Brandon Psmythe Brandon.Psmythe at netiq.com
Thu Mar 13 17:17:33 EST 2003

Cisco will happily give you an engineering release if you ask nicley (and
have smartnet / warranty on the pix).  I personally have had too many issues
with the 6.2 line of code to trust an engineering release.

We have had two unexpected outages due to CSCdy58717.  For us it takes a one
to two weeks before a pix515 starts refusing connections, and a week or a
little less than a week on a 525 (of course there are more people, hence
connections, behind our 525s and 535s).  I am gathing current connection
counts for all our pixes via snmp.  A small perls script reads the data and
lets me know if current connections is steadily increasing, and then I can
schedule a reboot.  If you are running a pair of pixes in failover, make the
secondary active (the secondary will then kill all the connections since it
will realize they have timed out), reboot the primary, then fail back (that
last part if you want).  With the redundant pix setup, the outage is then
only seconds long.

-brandon