[nsp] looking for a 12.0.nS recommendation

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Wed Mar 19 10:16:45 EST 2003

Hi,

On Wed, Mar 19, 2003 at 01:10:26AM -0800, Joe Wood wrote:
> > They are usually not supported for all kinds of interfaces (like "this
> > interface is so low-speed that nobody would want 64 bit counters for
> > consistency with other interfaces"), so there are some pitfalls here.
>
> Interface speeds of less than 20Mbps do not support 64 bit counters.

I know that it *is* that way - but it doesn't make any sense.

It means "lots of additional special case code".

If I had done it, I had thrown out *all* 32 bit counters for all interfaces,
and done everything onyl with 64bit counters.

If somebody queries the 32bit counter, just return the low word of the 64
bit counter.  Same result, FAR less special cases, and less code.

(While on it, I would also remove the code for the separate "show int"
counters and replace it by a lookup function that just adds up the SNMP
counters when actually doing "show int".  If someone does a "clear int",
save the current values as offset to the SNMP counters.  Even less code
to execute for each packet, and even less weird bugs).

gert
                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert.doering at physik.tu-muenchen.de