[nsp] MSTP provisioning queries

sthaug at nethelp.no sthaug at nethelp.no
Wed Nov 19 09:04:14 EST 2003

> So, is anyone here using MSTP on a largish scale and has a better answer
> to the mechanics of building such a network than "pre-provision large
> numbers of VLANs" and/or "Perl Net::Telnet/Expect to multiple bridges at
> once"?

After some lab testing of MSTP we concluded that we would need *much*
more testing to be comfortable with MSTP and all the corner cases. We
also concluded that the MSTP implementation needed to mature a bit.

Rapid PVST, on the other hand, seems to work well for us, and we are
using it on all new 3550s and 6500s that we install. Obviously doesn't
scale as well as MSTP.

Steinar Haug, Nethelp consulting, sthaug at nethelp.no