[nsp] NPE-G1- Good/Bad?

Streiner, Justin streiner at stargate.net
Wed Oct 15 09:59:03 EDT 2003

On Wed, 15 Oct 2003, James Galliford wrote:

> We are currently considering the deployment of NPE-G1s in our network
> and I was wondering about other operators experience with this card.
> Does anyone have any feedback regarding this processor?  How stable do
> the cards seem to be?  Any weird problems? ie., like not being able to
> run CEF and static routes (Sorry Cisco folk, you never know what might
> not work well together)  Any strange failures that warranted a card
> replacement?  Any strange interaction with the NPE and older cards such
> as the MC-16C, C7200-I/O-FE or any other cards?

Make sure you get the most recent hardware revision of the NPE-G1.  Older
spins of the blade such as revision A0 have some interesting bugs,
including one where the NPE will occasionally reboot itself.  It shows up
in a "show version" as being reset by power-on, and may show some watchdog
alerts.

As for the interaction with older cards, I'm not sure.  Works fine with
the PA-MC-8T1s, PA-FE-TX, PA-2T3+s I had in the router prior to the
upgrade.

jms