[nsp] Bandwidth Limit

Vincent De Keyzer vincent at dekeyzer.net
Thu Oct 23 10:15:46 EDT 2003

> Do you think 32MB of memory can handle the traffic-shaping?

I have here a 2500 with 4MB of RAM which is shaping an E1 down to 1
Mbps, and it's doing like a charm. But of course, it will depend on your
traffic.

> I tried this but after enabling the traffic-shape in the
> interface, show running-config wont display anything.

I have tried this and it works (Cisco 2620, 32MB, 12.0(3)T3):

rafael{brublu008r}#conf t
Enter configuration commands, one per line.  End with CNTL/Z.
rafael{brublu008r}(config)#interface Ethernet1/2
rafael{brublu008r}(config-if)#traffic-shape group 10 100
rafael{brublu008r}(config-if)#^Z
rafael{brublu008r}#sh ru int et1/2
Building configuration...

Current configuration:
!
interface Ethernet1/2
 no ip address
 no ip directed-broadcast
 shutdown
 traffic-shape group 10 100 8 8 1000
end

Maybe your software is bugged???

> access-list 101 permit ip host 192.168.1.2 any
> access-list 101 permit ip any host 192.168.1.2
>
> #on interface E0/0
> traffic-shape group 101 128000

I think traffic-shaping is only in the outgoing direction, not incoming.
In that case, the first line of the ACL is useless (I assume the E0/0 is
the ethernet interface of the Cisco towards the switch).

> Here's the network diagram.
>
> [192.168.2.0/24]----[nat
> server/192.168.1.2]----[switch]----[192.168.1.1/cisco
> router]---{internet}
>
> Do you think this will work?

Excuse my ignorance, but what is a NAT server? Is the Cisco doing no
NAT? What exactly are your trying to achieve?