[nsp] RBE aggregation issues

Mark E. Mallett mem at mv.mv.com
Thu Oct 30 14:44:05 EST 2003

On Thu, Oct 30, 2003 at 11:05:16AM -0800, Bruce Robertson wrote:
> > I've been reluctant to move beyond 12.1 since later versions have some
> > negative effects on PPP T1 links.
>
> Hmmm... I have about 30 PPP T1 links on the same 7206 I'm doing RBE on,
> with no ill effects.  What kind of symptoms are you seeing?

It was pretty bizarre and my memory is flaky and the PPP debug logs
are long gone.  I had had some PPPOE remnants in the configuration for
experimentation on another interface, with a virtual interface pool
defined to support that.  Whenever I loaded an image beyond 12.1, the
PPP T1 interfaces would each grab a virtual interface and misbehave in
odd ways, including negotiation failures and refusing to do
load-balancing.  A lot of experimentation appeared to show that the
serial T1 interfaces were acquiring some characteristics designed for
dialup, and getting confused.

Those PPPoE remnants are gone now, so perhaps it's safe to try
again.  Also in looking at my old notes it appears that I had some
of these issues with 12.1(5)T9 .  Now using 12.1(5)T12 without
those issues.  At any rate it was quite a while ago, the fog of
time has obscured some details.

Yours,
-mm-