[nsp] HSRP failing under high CPU load

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Fri Oct 31 13:15:05 EST 2003

Hi,

On Thu, Oct 30, 2003 at 03:50:04PM -0500, jlewis at lewis.org wrote:
> Has anyone else seen HSRP fail (lower priorority router preemts and goes
> active while a higher priority router is still active) when the low
> priorority router is under particularly heavy CPU load (perhaps it's
> missing or just not processing hellos)?  Or perhaps all the AMD FE
> underruns have something to do with it?

I've seen this, and it coincided with EIGRP flapping and an increasing
number of "input ignore" packets on the Catalyst FE port where the
HSRP master was connected to.  No specific pattern to it - some days
it did not happen at all, some days we had 10 flaps.

Cisco TAC wasn't able to solve the problem, but eventually the HSRP
master rebooted due to a memory parity error, and since then, the
problem has not happened again - so maybe some problem with the
DRAM (NPE-400s are known to be "difficult" here).

gert

--
Gert Doering
Mobile communications ... right now writing from * Italy, Sardinia *