[nsp] PA on a 7500

Robert E. Seastrom rs at seastrom.com
Thu Sep 4 21:14:49 EDT 2003

> >> I'm supposed to know this, but I'm a little bit confused.
> >> Is it possible to unplug a PA-8T from a VIP2 who is in service (in a 7500)
> >> and has another PA-8T plugged on it?
> >
> >VIP2s are not hot-pluggable.
>
> Could you possibly provide any references to cisco.com, which confirm that?

Based on some out of band email I got, I suppose I should have been
more detailed - the response seemed clear enough to me at the time
given the context of the question which was asked:

1) You are not supposed to hot-insert a PA into a running VIP slot,
nor are you supposed to pull them out without first pulling the VIP.

2) The VIPs themselves are indeed hot-pluggable into the 7500 chassis,
subject to the usual caveats about the infamous "online insert and reboot"
(OIR) feature.

Two snippets from http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/core/cis7505/vip1/vip2/2658vip2.htm

   The VIP2 supports online insertion and removal (OIR), which allows
   insertion and removal of a VIP2 without first shutting down the
   system. Online insertion and removal maximizes router availability by
   allowing the addition or removal of the VIP2 during system
   operation. For more information on OIR, see the "VIP2 Installation
   Procedures" section.

   Caution: To prevent system problems, do not remove port adapters from
   the VIP2 motherboard or attempt to install other port adapters on the
   VIP2 motherboard while the system is operating. To install or replace
   port adapters, first remove the VIP2.

Hope this helps,

                                        ---Rob