[nsp] 2950 vs. 3500 for L3 switch/routing

sthaug at nethelp.no sthaug at nethelp.no
Fri Sep 5 08:46:03 EDT 2003

> I'm considering pushing routing much closer to the end users and using an L3
> switch.  This is a data center/hosting environment.
>
> Has anyone experience with either the 2950s or 3500s?  These would trunk up
> to 6500s.

2950 and 3500XL cannot do routing. 3550 can do it just fine, and we use
it for routing in a few locations. Some caveats:

- Limited routing table size. Don't even think of trying bgp with a full
Internet routing table.

- Only static routes and RIP2 unless you buy the EMI version. HSRP also
only in EMI.

Steinar Haug, Nethelp consulting, sthaug at nethelp.no