[nsp] Etherchannel and intermediate switches

Matyas Szilard szilard.matyas at enternet.hu
Fri Sep 12 12:51:52 EDT 2003

Hi!

It could be done with restrictions. If you use dynamic channel configuration
with PAGP and  use Cisco switches for A and Z. I think it can't work because
PAGP use dest. multicast  MAC that cannot flood  by cisco switches, but sent
to the supervisor. Thus, switch A and Z absorb PAGP. I think if you use  not
cisco switches for A and Z the dinamic channel configuration works. If you
use static channel configuration the A and Z switches can be cisco. There
are other restrictions such as if you make a link between switch A and Z the
MAC addresses are confused. If you dont't use link between switch A and Z
the configuration works, but there is a problem. The failover mechanism
cannot work. Suppose that link between Switch C and Switch Z go down.
Switch B can't realize that one of his channel link not operational, because
there is link between Switch B and Switch F. Switch B forward frames to
Switch Z in the future too and that frames what used that link are lost, and
broadcast frames(for example: arp req.) that use that link too. I think this
configuration is not a good choice!

szicsu