[nsp] ospf default routes and bgp injection

Steve Lim limmer at execpc.com
Tue Apr 6 09:37:04 EDT 2004

Here's an easy reference (text fishing at Cisco.com is annoying):

Book: CCNP Self Study: BSCI by Paquet, Chp 8Advertising Networks into
BGP, page 511-513.

The segment referenced above simply declares that it's a bad idea. But
the paragraph doesn't give exampls.

Redistributing IGP into BGP has bad repercussions specifically if your
IGP carries non-aggregated routes. The problem becomes acute when your
link-state protocol detects flapping links. This causes the IGP to
recalculate SPF (or appropriate algorithm) and announce this into BGP.
BGP in turn adhusts it's tables. For Service Provider type networks,
5-10 flapping links can occur at any one time. Each subsequent flapping
link causes an exponential (not incremental) change in IGP and BGP
response. A prolonged non-converged network results in routing loops.

Hope my simplified explanation helps.

Nick Kraal wrote:

> Following up on this one. We all know that the IGP of choice used should
> carry only infrastructure networks and kept as small as possible. The rest
> should be announced via iBGP. Is there a document that explains this
> rationale clear --having some difficulty convincing some folks.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> -nick/

Steve Lim - Network Engineer (Michigan)
Corecomm -An ATX Communications Company
How does a fool and his money get together?