[nsp] Cisco Switch Selection

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Sat Apr 24 08:16:48 EDT 2004

Hi,

On Sat, Apr 24, 2004 at 02:53:39PM +0200, Mustafa N. Deeb wrote:
> My core is 7206's , at this time , I have around 25Mgs of bandwidth
> coming traveling inside 2 c2950 cisco switch and  L4 switch in the
> middle
>
> We started to see some minor packet loss, between the routers, is 2950
> enough to handle such load,

25 Mbit/s?  This is something that a 2950 should only laugh about.

If you see packet loss, check all your links for duplex mismatches (one
side half duplex, other side full duplex) - this is something that is
quite common between 7200 routers and autoneg switches.  The nasty thing
about duplex mismatches is that you don't immediately notice it, the
packet drops will only start if the traffic level increases.

A very good sign for duplex mismatch is if you see an increasing number
of "late collisions" on a switch or router interfaces.

gert
                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert at net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de