[nsp] Ethernet/G.703 converter & Cisco G.703 interface

Artem Naluzhny tut at nhamon.com.ua
Mon Apr 26 14:28:42 EDT 2004

hI

Gert Doering wrote:

> On Sun, Apr 25, 2004 at 12:02:12PM +0200, sthaug at nethelp.no wrote:
>
>>> Is it possible to pass IP traffic from the operator's network into the my
>>> router using the schema below?
>>
>> Most likely no - but it depends on how the Ethernet/G.703 converter
>> works. If it removes the Ethernet framing and instead adds a proper
>> PPP or Cisco HDLC frame, it might work. If it simply puts the full
>> Ethernet frame inside G.703, it won't work.
>
> I don't think it can work.  The other direction needs proper ARPing to
> get the correct destination MACs into the packets...
>
> It might work if the box in question claims to be a "serial half-bridge"
> (like "the remote end of a Cisco<->Cisco bridge over a G.703 line")...
> but even in that case, the local router would have to do briding, or
> something like "route-bridge IP on serials" (which is not there, as far
> as I know).

I've tried to configure bridging on my router:

controller E1 1/0
  channel-group 0 timeslots 1-31
!
bridge irb
!
interface Serial1/0:0
  no ip address
  bridge-group 1
  bridge-group 1 spanning-disabled
!
interface BVI1
  ip address 10.255.254.1 255.255.255.0

But all packets I receives from ethernet port of the converter are
prepended with strange four bytes: 0f 00 65 58 (I'm using tcpdump). This
header is not changed in time. There is usual packet with mac and ip
headers after this fragment.

Any ideas?

--
tut         "Be more specific."
                      (c) Roman Dirge, Lenore - the cute little dead girl