[nsp] Cisco Switches & VLAN's

Beprojects.com info at beprojects.com
Tue Apr 27 15:32:06 EDT 2004

Since we're talking about Cisco switches, here are a couple of annoying
things I've run into.  I've seen these on multiple switches and multiple
versions of sofware, so I tend to think that they are intentional, but I'm
not sure why.  Do these make sense to anybody else?

1.  If you set a switch like a 2950 to vtp client mode and then restart the
switch, it goes back to server mode.  Anybody have any idea why this is?  In
my networks, I like to have one server and everybody else be a client so
there is just one central switch where you can add/remove vlan's.  Once any
of the switches are rebooted, they are all servers again.

2.  What is the purpose of the "vlan database" if you can add all of the
vlan stuff from regular config mode?  Of course even though you can add it
from regular config mode, it doesn't show up in the config unless you enter
"int vlan x" for each vlan you created.