[c-nsp] SX optics on single-mode fiber?

Mikael Abrahamsson swmike at swm.pp.se
Sun Aug 1 17:09:56 EDT 2004

On Sun, 1 Aug 2004, Kevin Graham wrote:

> So, will this work at all? Are  there attentuator/conditioning cables
> that should be used? Any references I've found are for running
> higher-quality (ie. LH/LX) optics on multimode, not the other way
> around...

There are ways, but it's not recommended. If this is for anything that is
remotely important, you should purchase some LX GBICs, it's probably more
reliable (and cheaper) to purchase a bunch off of ebay than to get any
special cabling you might need for modal adaptation and the hassle when/if
this won't work as you hope.

Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike at swm.pp.se