[c-nsp] ATM IMA Overhead....

THOMAS, MEAGAN (PBI) mt8197 at sbc.com
Thu Aug 5 17:03:28 EDT 2004

Hey, this may be off base, but what the hey, I gotta try....

So, does anyone have any resources that can direct us to the kind of
overhead ATM can cause when using IMA?  Cisco's IMA docs suggest 10-12%, but
ATM overhead varies - other documents on Cisco's site suggest ATM overhead
is like 20%, depending on packet size.

Any ideas or resources?  We need to give our customers an answer to the
basic question of how much overhead can they expect (and what total download
they can get) using ATM with an IMA?  10% or 20%  (after all, IMA does run
on top of ATM, and packet sizes vary with data...)

Meagan Thomas
SBC Internet Services
Dedicated Enhanced Service Center - Team Lead
925-973-6404 (Voice)