[c-nsp] C2980 and RMON

Thorsten Ziegler tziegler+cisco-nsp at imap.schlund.de
Thu Aug 5 17:54:42 EDT 2004

Hi,

I'm playing with RMON right now and I'm wondering what I'm missing to
succesfully complete my setup. My test-setup consists of an C2948G
running 8-4-2-GLX (i've already tried different version).

I want to generate an Trap wenn Port-Traffic exceeds an defined limit.
To achieve this, i'm first generating an Event (using simple ucd-snmp):

snmpset pa eventStatus.1 = 4
snmpset pa eventStatus.1 = 2 eventDescription.1 = Test \
 eventCommunity.1 = test eventType.1 = 4 eventOwner.1 = monitor
snmpset pa eventStatus.1 = 1

No problem so far... then i'm generating an Alarm: (monitoring
ifInUcastPkts.11)

snmpset pa alarmStatus.3 = 4
snmpset pa alarmStatus.3 = 2 alarmInterval.3 = 60 alarmVariable.3 =  \
.1.3.6.1.2.1.2.2.1.11.11 alarmSampleType.3 = 2 alarmRisingThreshold.3 =\
600 alarmFallingThreshold.3 = 70 alarmRisingEventIndex.3 = 1 \
alarmFallingEventIndex.3 = 1 alarmOwner.3 = monitor
snmpset pa alarmStatus.3 = 1

SNMP Trap-Receivers are defined - but when the alarm is finally thrown,
there are no traps at all. I'm able to see the raised Event in the Event-Log,
but no trap. :(

Any Ideas? (Another question would be why it's impossible to activate an
alarm when trying to set HC-Counters as alarmVariable.

Greetings,
 Thorsten