[c-nsp] Re: [nsp] What WIC to use with E1 service

Tim Franklin tim at colt.net
Fri Aug 6 10:31:53 EDT 2004

cisco-nsp-bounces at puck.nether.net wrote:
> Well, I got the circuit delivered (E1 on Belgium end and T1 on my
> end), but I still have not been able to get a strait answer what I
> need to put in the cisco2621.
>
> I got some pictures of the box that Belgacom installed, it is DNT2M,
> it has a port marked G.704/2M next to an RJ45 plug.
>
> It also has a sticker with:
> 14HER0+ DNT2M 5C
> 02WOL0+ 14HER0+ 30N 2P
>
> I was told by GT/360 that it is HDB3 and E1/CRC4
>
> Any ideas what WIC I should use, and what configuration I should have.

VWIC-1MFT-E1 will do you nicely here.  It's also RJ45 (I've been told that
technically it's RJ48, but the plugs are the same), and you can connect
(usually) with a straight cat5 cable.

You'll want something like:

controller e1 1/0
 channel-group 0 timeslots 1-23

interface serial 1/0:0
 ip address <blah> 255.255.255.252

HDB3 and CRC4 are both defaults, so you don't need to explicitly configure
them.

If you're going into a T1 at the other end, you obviously can't use the full
2M at the E1 end.  A common way to do this is for the circuit provider to
put the T1's worth of data into timeslots 1-23 on the E1 (and not use
24-31), which is what the above config does.  You should check with your
provider, though, they may be using a different timeslot mapping, in which
case tweak the values as necessary.

Regards,
Tim.

____________   Tim Franklin                 e: tim at colt.net
\C/\O/\L/\T/   Product Engineering Manager  w: www.colt.net
 V  V  V  V    Managed Data Services        t: +44 20 7863 5714
                                            f: +44 20 7863 5876