[c-nsp] OC-3 interface for 7200...

Neil J. McRae neil at COLT.NET
Fri Aug 13 08:18:55 EDT 2004

> What kind of OC-3 multi-mode interfaces do they make for the 7200
> series?
> Is the most popular PA the Packet over SONET/SDH Port Adapter?
>
> We're looking to do clear channel OC-3 circuits.  Is the 7200 the
> best platform for this (within reasonable cost)?  Are
> there cheaper
> platforms out there?  We're looking to extend 100Mbps Cogent
> circuits to customer buildings, helping Cogent extend
> their building
> reach.  But, our cheaper radios are OC-3 only, so we'll
 need to take
> a 100Mbps FE feed from Cogent, convert to OC-3 for the radio hop
> then back to 100Mbps FE for the customer distribution within the
> building.
>
> Any better way to accomplish this?

Without knowing the full details of the network and the wireless
device you use, assuming your wireless OC-3 is a real OC-3 emulator:

Might be worth seeing if you can find an Ethernet over Sonet
box that could do this like the Metropolis stuff from Lucent.
Use the Lucent box in front of your wireless devices with GPF/VCAT
ethernet trunk running over it although as I said not sure if
the lucent box will work with the "wireless OC3" You could also
use more of the bandwidth for other things.

Neil.