[c-nsp] Router/switch suggestions

sthaug at nethelp.no sthaug at nethelp.no
Wed Aug 25 13:54:51 EDT 2004

> I am putting together a proposal for border routers and core switches at
> a new hosting facility.
>
> The routers should be able to handle STM-1 (and up), gigabit ethernet,
> BGP, Netflow, CEF. Nothing exotic , so a stable workhorse is good. I was
> looking at 7206, but NSE-1? NPE-400? What is the major differences
> between these two?

Forget NSE-1. Way too much trouble to be worth it.

NPE-400? Okay for normal STM-1 traffic, but absolutely will not handle
an STM-1 full of minimum sized DDoS traffic. If you want to have any
chance at handling DDoS attacks coming in at STM-1 and higher speeds,
you really need NPE-G1 or (preferably) boxes that do forwarding and
ACLs in hardware (my personal favorite being boxes from the other
major router vendor...)

Steinar Haug, Nethelp consulting, sthaug at nethelp.no