[c-nsp] IPv6

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Wed Aug 25 14:27:00 EDT 2004

Hi,

On Wed, Aug 25, 2004 at 09:58:03AM -0700, Brian Vowell wrote:
> I've been pulled into a project where we'll be doing an IPv6 demo.  Does
> anyone have any suggestions on which switching hardware and routing
> hardware might be appropriate for this?  We'd like to go v6 all the way
> from end to end, and CCO seems a bit slim on what features are
> implemented on which platform.  Has anyone succesfully deployed v6?

Almost all router platforms that can run 12.2T or 12.3 IOS can do IPv6
today.  Some platforms have caveats ("3620 has no OSPFv3 due to RAM
constraints"), and some are just plain unsupported (Cisco 4700, Cat
5000 RSM and RSFC).

You'll need "IP plus" feature set, which is a more costly IOS license than
"plain IP only".   For some IOS trains, "ISP feature set" (-p) might also
be sufficient.

What platforms do you have and what throughput do you expect?

We're mostly happy with 12.2S on our 7200s (-p) and 12.3(6) on 3640 and
other platforms (-is).

gert
                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert at net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de