[c-nsp] dhcp failover - 3550 ???

Marko Milivojevic markom at pangalactic.net
Fri Aug 27 08:34:26 EDT 2004

> Given 2x3550 EMI, could they be setup as DHCP servers running in some sort
> of failover configuration?
> I'd assume not, but it doesn't hurt to ask ;-)

    Let me start with a disclaimer: This is just theory. I have not tried
this. I may be overseeing some limitation, but I may not. I don't have spare
3550-EMI's at the moment to try. If someone has, please, feel free to do so.

    You say you have 2 3550's. I presume they are "default gateways" for
local LAN and that they have L3 interfaces. Chances are, they are running
HSRP? If they do, my trick may work (with a certain limitation) :-)

    Configure 3550's L3 interfaces with IP addresses not used on LAN.
Configure HSRP with virtual IP that is used as gateway.

    When you configure DHCP server, it will not respond to client request
unless it has interface with IP address that would match replies from the
pool. In theory, active HSRP switch would respond to the query.

    Of course, limitation is when the primary fails. I am not aware of the
DHCP database synchronization between the two. You might be able to pull
something off in this sense, but I am not sure.

Marko.