[c-nsp] weird EIGRP problem

Burton Windle bwindle at fint.org
Fri Aug 27 13:08:39 EDT 2004

I have a Cisco 831 router with a client-mode VPN to a remote network. The
831 is directly connected to one of my 6509's, we'll call it 6509-2. I
have another 6509, 6509-1, that is directly connected to 6509-2.

Both 6509's exchange routes via EIGRP, and they both redistribute static.

If I add a static route on 6509-2 for the remote network, pointing
next-hop to the 831's inside interface, 6509-2 can ping the remote network
with zero packet loss. However, 6509-1 gets about 90% packet loss to the
same IP on the remote network, but it does show the remote network in a
'sh ip route'.

If I remove the static route from 6509-2 and put it on 6509-1, then 6509-1
can ping with 100% success, and 6509-2 gets mostly failures.

If they both have the static route (which they shouldn't need, if EIGRP is
redistributing static) they can both ping.

No matter what, nothing else on my network can ping said remote network
besides these 6509s, even tho all other routers see the route.

Can somebody hit me with a cluestick as to what I'm doing wrong? Does this
sound like an IOS bug (6509s both run 12.1(8b)E6).

Burton Windle                           bwindle at fint.org