[c-nsp] 7x00 routers that survive

sthaug at nethelp.no sthaug at nethelp.no
Mon Aug 30 06:53:40 EDT 2004

> > The 7600 would be able to do it, no sweat. No idea about the 7300.
>
> IIRC, the 7300 is simply an NPE-G1 in 1 rack unit...

7301, yes. 7304 is different - you have one PXF-based board (NSE-100)
which does hardware forwarding (okay, PXF forwarding - it's still a
processor though not a general-purpose one), and a software forwarding
based board (NPE-G100). The NSE-100 should, at least in theory, handle
DDoS attacks better. I have no practical experience with these boxes,
so cannot verify this.

(I *do* have practical experience with 6500/7600 and Gigabit sized DDoS
attacks...)

Steinar Haug, Nethelp consulting, sthaug at nethelp.no