[c-nsp] standby use-bia?

Jon Lewis jlewis at lewis.org
Wed Dec 1 17:40:37 EST 2004

We ran into an issue recently where an HSRP switchover happened and a
bunch of our L3 switches either didn't get or didn't act on the gratuitous
arp the active router is supposed to send when it's configured with
use-bia and goes active.  This got me thinking about ways around having
the HSRP group members having different MAC addresses.

The limitation we have is that the VIP2s in our 7500s only have a 32 addr
AF.  What's the limit on VIP4?  I haven't been able to find that anywhere?

While looking into this, I noticed that there is "standby [group #]
mac-addr xxxx.xxxx.xxxx" command.  Assuming an FE or Portchannel has lots
of subinterfaces, each of which is doing HSRP with one or more other
routers, but there's only one HSRP group per VLAN, is there any reason I
can't use "standby [group #] mac-addr" to make all the HSRP virtual MAC
addresses the same?...using either a made up MAC address or perhaps an
actual MAC address from one of the routers, and use that same MAC as the
configured virtual MAC address on all the HSRP member routers?