[c-nsp] MPLS TTL expired in 12.0(26)S3

Clinton Work clinton at scripty.com
Fri Dec 3 14:02:54 EST 2004

Did the MPLS TTL expired behavior change between 12.0(23)S and 12.0(26)S?

I have the following setup:
r1 <-ebgp-> ler2 <--> lsr3 <--> lsr4 <--> lsr5 <--> ler6 <-ebgp-> r2

- r1, r2 and running ebgp with ler2 and ler6
- ler2, lsr3, lsr4, lsr5, and ler6 all run the ISIS IGP and have MPLS
enabled
- ler2 and ler6 have an IBGP session between them all ebgp routes
remarked with next-hop-self
- The lsr routers only have IGP routes.
- Only one label is used going across the network (no MPLS TE or MPLS VPN)

- lsr5 has a pop tag to reach the loopback0 of ler6

lsr5#show mpls forwarding-table 1.1.1.6
Local  Outgoing    Prefix            Bytes tag  Outgoing   Next Hop
tag    tag or VC   or Tunnel Id      switched   interface
56     Pop tag     1.1.1.6/32        635693070530635 PO2/0      point2point

If I do a traceroute from r1 to r2, I don't get a traceroute response
from lsr5 which is doing the PHP for ler6. When the input linecard on
lsr5 sees the traceroute probe with a MPLS TTL of 1 it should forward
the dropped packet to the RP for processing with the label stack in
place . When the RP generates the ICMP unreachable message it will
lookup the label in the LFIB and forward the ICMP unreachable down the
LSP to ler6 for forwarding. I might be seeing a bug on the E4+ linecard
where it strips the label on the MPLS TTL 1 packet before sending it to
the RP for processing. When the RP generates that ICMP unreachable
message it tries to send the response with its own routing table, but it
doesn't know how to reach router R1 (no BGP routes).

What is the best way to get a debug for the ICMP unreachables with some
label stack information on a GSR?

"debug ip icmp" only generates something like:
Dec  2 18:58:04 EST: MPLS: ICMP: time exceeded (time to live) sent to
2.2.2.1 (dest was 1.1.1.6)

I'm a little concerned about trying to use "debug ip packet <acl>"
because I'm not sure if it will match traffic only on the RP or the
linecards as well.

Has anyone tried using the receive ACL to log packets sent to the RP?

access-list 141 permit icmp any any log-input
access-list 141 permit ip any any
ip receive access-list 141