[c-nsp] A Stable BRAS IOS?

Robert E.Seastrom rs at seastrom.com
Sun Dec 5 09:12:30 EST 2004

"Osama I. Dosary" <oid at saudi.net.sa> writes:

> Hello,
>
> We are using Cisco routers (NPE-G1) as a NAS and LNS. No PVCs are
> terminated on these routers, only L2TP and PPP session termination is
> going on.
>
> We have having difficulting finding a stable IOS to run on these routers.
>
> Does anyone know of a good stable IOS they have been using for the
> same/similar purpose, and recommend?

I've been using c7200-js-mz.123-8.T4.bin for about six weeks now as an
LNS; while it's not GD it runs quite nicely on an NPE300 and I believe
will run on your G1 as well.  Our load peaks at a little over 1600
simultaneous users, 55% CPU, 50 Mbit aggregate (up + down) traffic
through router (your mileage will obviously vary since you have a much
more studly CPU).  CPU load is slightly inflated because of
outstanding issues with a few hosts that are moving oversized L2TP
packets that get fragmented and need reassembly to pop the PPPoE frame
(fragment reassembly is most assuredly *not* in the fast switching
path).

Hope this helps,

                                        ---Rob