[c-nsp] FR and QoS

Rodney Dunn rodunn at cisco.com
Thu Dec 9 10:36:43 EST 2004

I'll admit I don't know the ATM part that well.
Depending on how you set the pvc up to cause
the backpressure just a service policy that identifies
the queueing you want should work.

And for FR, it should be:

> interface serial x/y.z
>  frame-relay interface-dlci nnn
>   service-policy out shape-and-queue

if that doesn't work it's a bug.

If you need fragmentation you have to
do:

> interface serial x/y.z
>  frame-relay interface-dlci nnn
   map-class dofragment

map-class dofragment
  fragment size blah
  service-policy out shape-and-queue

The goal of MQC is to try and make it transparent
to the underlying hardware implementation.  It's
not perfect but it's much better than it was before.

> What would be *very nice* would be if
>
> interface (atm|frame) x/y.z
>  service-policy out shape-and-queue
>  (pvc|frame-relay interface-dlci)

I'm not sure what you mean here but if I'm reading
it right that's exactly how you should configure
it.  If it doesn't work it's a bug.
The one gotcha where the above doesn't work is
when you need to do fragmentation that has to
be specified under the map-class.  I'm filing a bug
to see if we can move the functionality under the
"shape" policy to make it more simple.

odney