[c-nsp] BGP cease notification

Ryan O'Connell ryan at complicity.co.uk
Thu Dec 16 10:13:26 EST 2004

On 16/12/2004 14:50, Brian Feeny wrote:

> I was looking at a BGP "cease" notification the other day, and I wish
> I had saved it, but I didn't, but I was confused about one of the
> numbers in the message.
>
> It was like:
>
> BGP-NOTIFICATION: blah blah (cease) 6/1 7 bytes 00010100 03E8
>

> I realize this is a cease message, which is notification Type 6, and
> its Cease Code 1 which means maximum prefixes reached.
> The 3E8 is what the limit was set to, 1000 in this case.  I thought
> the binary before the 3E8 was the AFI, and its decimal 20.  Is that
> number in fact the AFI?  If so where do I find AFI 20?  I checked
> RFC1700 and its too dated to have newer things in it.  I

http://www.ietf.org/proceedings/02jul/I-D/draft-ietf-idr-cease-subcode-01.txt
section 5
http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc2283.html section 7
http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc1700.html "ADDRESS FAMILY NUMBERS"

The AFI/SAFI is three octets, so I guess the 00 at the end is just
padding and this would be read as AFI 0001, SAFI 01 - IPv4 (From
RFC1700) unicast (From RFC2283)

--
         Ryan O'Connell - CCIE #8174
<ryan at complicity.co.uk> - http://www.complicity.co.uk

I'm not losing my mind, no I'm not changing my lines,
I'm just learning new things with the passage of time