[c-nsp] Re: FE ignored errors

Nick Shah Nick.Shah at aapt.com.au
Sun Dec 19 20:22:59 EST 2004

Jon

What other PA exists on this VIP ? And what other VIP's (any VIP2-40's
?) Also, can you check the CpU util on the VIP itself ? Note that the
CPU utilisation has lesser bearing on router performance but may impact
latency, and it becomes a more linear curve when a per-packet processing
services exist.

For your nachi filters, I would rather replace it with a CAR with a rate
limit of 128K or something sensible (depending on your external links)
like that policing ICMP traffic. Hence eliminating per-packet processing
done by POLICY ROUTING.

We had a similar issue with a VIP4-80 on a 7500, which had a
PA-A3-OC3-SMI & PA-FE-TX.
The ATM PA had a lot of PVC's to the remote sites, and the PA-FE-TX
connected to the backbone network.
After extensive investigation, the problem was found to be related to
the oversubscription of traffic exiting the router on exit VIP (which
was a 2-40) - causing a bottleneck on the entry VIP (a VIP4-80).

Rgds
Nick