[c-nsp] Re: dot1q subinterface counters

Jay Ford jay-ford at uiowa.edu
Wed Dec 22 12:49:21 EST 2004

On Wed, 22 Dec 2004, Nicolaj Ottsen wrote:
> We just converted from using interface vlan to using dot1q
> subinterfaces, so we can support EoMPLS without OSM, but it seems we
> lost a feature in the process. The counters for dot1q subinterface on
> the c6500/sup720 (12.2(17d)SXB5) seems to be broken :(
>
> Am I missing the point here or are the countes broken ?

I ran into the same problem.  I tried to use the sub-ints because it was the
cleanest way to configure a tagged external link, but the sub-int counters
didn't work.  The TAC informed me that it isn't supposed to work because
sub-ints aren't supported on LAN interfaces; they're only supported on OSM &
FlexWan interfaces.  I pointed out that the rest of my configured situation
worked fine & suggested they fix the seemingly minor problem rather than
dismiss an entire method of interface configuration.  I also complained that
I was losing functionality when "upgrading" from a 7513 to a 6500+720, but I
got nowhere in my argument with the TAC guy or my SE.  I changed to the ugly
& cumbersome "switchport" & "vlan" interface arrangement, where the counters
do seem to work.  I wish you luck in arguing with Cisco about this,
especially because I'd like to use the sub-int ability.